The restoration of the Grade II* Listed Hornsey Town Hall is set to go ahead following our recent completion of a development agreement with Haringey Council. This follows the granting of planning permission which was approved by Haringey’s Planning Committee in December 2017, more here.
The restoration will deliver a range of community benefits including guaranteed access to the Town Hall and Town Hall Square, new jobs and a modern day, future proofed arts centre. Key benefits include:
• Over £30million investment into restoration and refurbishment of the building
• Of this, £20million invested to carry out essential repairs to the building
• 33% increase in utilisation of the Town Hall post completion
• £1million invested to improve the public realm
• Circa 279 full time jobs will be created which includes those who will be directly and in-directly employed within the Town Hall, compared to around 100 currently. In addition, 37 jobs will be created at the hotel
• Guaranteed public access to a refurbished Town Hall Square
• A new space called Town Hall Gardens, which will be accessible to the public via the hall
• 146 new homes, including 11 social rented
• The building will be removed from Historic England’s ‘At Risk’ Register
Headed up by Piers Read, The Time + Space Co will be the new operator of the Town Hall, creating a modern day, future proofed arts centre for Crouch End and its surrounding areas. The investment will restore the Town Hall to its original condition, creating spaces fit for purpose as a sustainable arts centre.
Time + Space Co will ensure the new arts centre is a creative hub, hosting world class performances and events, providing a centre in which people can work, socialise, relax and enjoy for many generations to come. Piers is exploring partnerships with many other local arts organisations and has already secured a partnership with Musion, the world leading 3D holographic projection producer, who will base its HQ at the Hall.
Time + Space Co has pledged to protect, harness and grow the cluster of creative businesses based onsite, ensuring existing businesses and freelancers can be accommodated within the new Hornsey Town Hall development. This will be possible through agile workspaces, which are flexible and affordable. Groups who use this space for training or practising activities will benefit from the improved offering too. Any queries relating to occupying space in the Town Hall should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
From the beginning of July, Time + Space Co will take over the day-to-day operation of the Town Hall. Piers and his team will be situated in a temporary reception adjacent to the main entrance to the arts centre, please do pop in and say hello!
We expect work to begin onsite in early 2019 and anticipate the restoration of the Town Hall and wider development completing in early 2021.
Speaking to us
We’ll have a stall at the Crouch End Festival on Saturday 9 June and Sunday 17 June. The temporary marketing suite has also launched (accessed via the main doors at the Town Hall). It is open Thursday-Monday from 10am-6pm. Please do come to see us and the team will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Finally, our new website has just launched – link here. Over the coming weeks, the current website will be taken down.